Hardcore metal fans are getting a belated Christmas present – the first album and tour for Times of Grace.
It’s a first album with some familiar faces. The band is a new project for Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz, better known as Adam D. He pairs again with Jesse Leach, who left Killswitch Engage after 2002’s Alive or Just Breathing.
It’s possible that the album, The Hymn of a Broken Man, could be considered making lemonade from lemons. Adam D was sidelined with severe back problems during the 2007 tour and underwent emergency surgery in London. He began writing songs in his hospital bed and continued writing during his recovery, humming and singing into a small tape recorder.
The Hymn of a Broken Man turned into a part of the healing process. Although it’s sometimes dark, there’s an underlying feeling of hope running throughout. Says Adam D, “The cool thing with these songs is that they are about negative situations, but there’s always a positive twist on it, talking about how you have the power to turn it around yourself.”
It may be a surprise to some that Adam D chose to reach out to Leach as a vocalist, considering Leach’s abrupt departure from Killswitch Engage, but the two had remained on friendly terms. Adam D explained his decision to work with Leach simply, “…I don’t think I’m the best lyricist on my own, so the first person who came to mind for me was Jesse. We write together easily.”
Leach agrees, saying “We were almost completing each other’s sentences. If you were in the room, you could feel the energy between us. We were right on the same page.”
The album drops on January 18th. There will also be an special edition of the album released which includes 13 videos. The tour, which includes Straight Line Stitch and War of Ages on the bill, kicks off in Baltimore on February 1.
- Feb. 01 Baltimore, MD @ The Quarter
- Feb.02 Atlanta, GA @ the Masquerade (downstairs)
- Feb. 04 Dallas, TX @ The Door
- Feb. 05 Austin, TX @ Emo’s
- Feb. 07 Phoenix, AZ @ The Nile
- Feb. 08 Los Angeles, CA @ Troubadour
- Feb. 09 San Francisco, CA@ Bottom of the Hill
- Feb. 11 Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
- Feb. 12 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Ballroom
- Feb. 14 Salt Lake City, UT @ The Complex – Grand Room
- Feb. 15 Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater
- Feb. 17 Minneapolis, MN @ Station 4
- Feb. 18 Chicago, IL @ The Bottom Lounge
- Feb. 19 Detroit, MI @ Eagle Theater
- Feb. 20 Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom
- Feb. 21 Toronto, ON @ Mod Club
- Feb. 22 New York, NY @ Gramercy Theater
- Feb. 24 West Chester, PA @ The Note
- Feb. 25 Pittsburgh, PA @ Mr. Smalls
- Feb. 26 Poughkeepsie, NY @ The Chance
- Feb. 27 Boston, MA @ Paradise Rock Club